This year, Walk Around the World will look a little different. We decided to move the event to virtual platforms for everyone’s health and safety. We will offer virtual events on our Facebook, Instagram, and website to honor and celebrate the contributions that refugees make in our community. We are going to miss hosting this fun event in a live setting, but there is a lot to be thankful for during this pandemic, including our ability to stay connected through alternate means. IMAA is excited to find different ways to bring together the cultures that represent our community and celebrate the diversity we have!
We will host a week of events and posts that include:
-Cultural cooking demos
-Cultural dances and musical performances
-Special recognition for World Refugee Day on June 20th
A timeline of events will be posted soon.
How can you help make this event successful?
1. Follow us on Facebook (@IMAARochester) and Instagram (@imaarochester) and tune in during the week of June 14-June 20. Comment, like, and engage with the content we post!
2. If you are not a big fan of using social media, simply go to our website during the week of June 14-June 20 and view the videos and read the content posted.
3. Are you a first or second generation refugee or immigrant that would like to share your story and how you are contributing to our community? Send us a message!
4. Do you have a cultural dance that you want to share? Send us a message! We would love to include you in our line up.
5. Donate – all financial contributions help us to continue providing the services we do and carry out our mission of “building bridges between cultures.”