You’ve finally gotten into the long anticipated for “School Routine.” All the new school year jitters have passed, homework routines are established, reading logs are posted and sleep schedules are back on track. The first few weeks of school are a whirlwind of information, new friends and experiences to be shared.
Inevitably after the first few weeks of school a new routine is also established.
Mom: How was school today?
Mom: Anything interesting happen?
Kid: Not really.
Over the last decade of having children in school, I have realized that if I am going to get a little more insight into their day my options were going to be a) harass their teachers or b) get more creative with the way I posed my questions. Since my teacher friends tell me that option (a) is generally unappreciated, I offer you the following that have worked to pry the lid off the school day for me. Use the printable below to cut out and place all of the schoolday questions in a jar. Have your children pick questions out each day for a fun activity!
- Tell me three things that happened today.
- Who did you sit by at lunch? What did you eat?
- What was the funniest thing that happened at school today?
- Did you see anyone being kind today? What happened?
- Were you upside down at any point today? What were you doing?
- What was the most boring part of your day?
- What is the most interesting thing that you heard today?
- If you were allowed to write on the wall at school, what would you have written today?
- What is something you wish your teacher had noticed today that she/he didn’t?
- Did you daydream today? Where did you go?
- If you could sit anywhere in your classroom, where would it be?
- What was one thing you did really well today?
- Did you hear a word you didn’t know? What was it?
- Is there someone you would like to play with at recess tomorrow?
- What did you do that exercised your body today?
- What has your teacher mentioned that you are looking forward to?
- What did you read today?
- If you were planning a field trip for your class tomorrow, where would you go?
- If you had been principal today, what is one change you would have made?
- What is your teacher really good at doing?
Do you have any favorite questions for your kids? Leave them in the comments!
Print this template out by using this link: 20 School Day Questions
This post was originally published in November 2017.