I can look back at my wedding pictures and daydream… because that is not the skin I have anymore! Now, I have “mom skin.” I have wrinkles, sun spots/freckles, areas with weird texture, post-acne scars, and even some new breakouts. I have bags under my eyes and dehydrated skin because, let’s face it, I am tired and never drink enough water.
As a mom of little kids, the last 7 years have been a roller-coaster. I often didn’t even have enough time to wash my face before I hit the ground running. But I am thankful to say that I have entered a slightly less demanding season of life. My boys are getting older and are becoming more independent, even if only slightly. With my newfound me-time, I have been experimenting with my skin care regimen. I DO NOT have Insta-worthy, perfect, pore-less skin. But, let’s be real – neither do most of the influencers! Even-so, here are a few lessons I have learned… from someone with mom skin to another.
- Do the double cleanse! – Double cleansing has seriously changed the way I take care of my face. A one-and-done cleanse just isn’t enough to get my face completely clean, especially on the days I wear makeup. The first cleanse removes the majority of my makeup and the second catches all the bits left behind. I will even triple cleanse sometimes when I am feeling extra dirty. It works!
- Mild exfoliation makes my face glow. – I have rather sensitive skin and cannot tolerate the stronger exfoliants but I am loving some mild chemical exfoliants lately. I only use them once or twice a week.
- My go-to chemical exfoliant + toner: REN Ready, Steady, Glow
- Serums – Most of the serums I use are ones that will help retain moisture because I have super dry skin. But there are all kinds of serums out there with active ingredients to fix any concerns you may have.
- Retinol is the magic ingredient for fine lines and wrinkles. There are tons of products with retinol nowadays. But it can be a little irritating so I only use this once or twice a week as well.
- Treatments galore!
- Facials – I recently got a facial for the first time in a LONG time. It was relaxing as well as informative. Definitely find a person you trust to ask questions and take a deeper look at your skin.
- Dermaplaning – Dermaplaning is when a fine blade (like a scalpel) is used to shave off dead cells and the peach fuzz. It left my skin feeling baby’s butt smooth! They suggest doing this monthly.
- Microneedling – I have been interested in this for a while but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Microneedling uses very small needles to cause micro-injuries to the skin. The micro-injuries trick the body into healing itself in the applied area. This is another wrinkle/texture treatment solution.
- Okay, I’ll Sunscreen. – If I’m honest, I was reluctant to use daily sunscreen. The white cast of most sunscreens was a huge turn off. But I have finally found a product that I like which makes it easier to incorporate on a daily basis.
- Influencers I follow –
- Mixed Makeup – Susan Yara is a level-headed influencer who creates very interesting videos with reviews and information on various skin topics.
- James Welsh – James creates videos with product reviews and skin care information but he also sheds light on the art of photo retouching and the filter effects in other influencer videos.
- Dr. Vanita Rattan – Dr. Rattan is a dermatologist and cosmetic formulator, specifically for skin of color. While I don’t have darkly pigmented skin, she has some great research-based recommendations that anyone can follow!
Through all my learning about skin care, I have also become more aware of what is normal. Normal skin has texture, pores, and will develop wrinkles. And while I am working to improve my skin, I am also working to love my skin for how it is! No one’s skin is perfect and I am proud to have my mom skin!